Monday, February 3, 2014

My newest build
It's been awhile since I posted, not much drum building these days. But, I finished this one! and , man, I'm happy with how it sounds! I built the shell last winter along with another maple stave and a teak one. I sold the teak shell and finished the curly maple 5 1/2 x 14 last year. I was hoping the maple snare would look and sound good, it did neither. I've been playing in a country band for awhile, trying various snares I own and nothing was doing it for me except maybe my Acrolite. Watching a you-tube video of Emmy Lou Harris and Rodney Crowell playing "Invitation to the Blues" on Austin City Limits, I dug the drummer, Jerry Roe. On further investigation, I discovered he's playing a 7x14 Craviotto maple snare tuned kinda low. I tried to get my 5 1/2 Vaunghn Craft steamed maple to sound like it to no avail. Then I noticed the the unfinished 7x14 southern yellow pine shell, hanging up on the shell rack. I'd been saving some Kent bass drum lugs for this drum and I added the leather gaskets under the lugs since the shell was slightly too small.(I've got no way to measure for outside diameter as I'm routing down the shell in my router jig). I took apart the failed maple drum to use the nice Trick throw and butt and cut some 1/8 inch snare beds, put on a hazy Ambassador on the bottom and an Evans with a power dot under and SWEET! Big fat sound with the top head low and the resonant slightly higher and the snares tight. Not bad and she looks good and, smells good.
I've decided since I have too many drum sets, to sell the Kents, although I do like the bass drum. Here's some pics.




what would you pay?

No comments:

Post a Comment